Perry E. Mack, an engineer, worked for Harley-Davidson in 1905. In 1910, he was working for Steco Cyclecar Co. That same year, Mack was hired by the Waverly Manufacturing. In 1911, he created a 500cc overhead valve single cylinder that put out up to five horsepower. This engine was named P.E.M., which utilized Mack’s initials.
For a short period of time, up to 1911, he was producing these motorcycles with Frank Kenzler under the name the Kenzler-Waverly. In 1912, Mack left the company and went to work for A.O. Smith. He assisted on the design of the engines used in the Smith Motor Wheel. The company then moved to Jefferson, Wisconsin.
In 1913, Mack introduced “The New Jefferson” engine. The name reflected the city where the engines and motorcycles were manufactured. Then, in 1915, the name switched to just “Jefferson.”
Many of the Jefferson motors were used in racing machines because of the power the overhead valve design made. The engine could put out nine horsepower. The motors continued to be produced until 1919 when the company was dissolved. Even though the engines found success in races, by 1919, the competitive nature of the industry forced the company out of business.
Let us know what you think on Lightning Customs Facebook page.